This easy homemade bread recipe produces a rustic round loaf with a delicious yeast flavor and a nice crust. Just mix it up the night before baking and there’ll be fresh warm bread in the morning – no kneading necessary.
** UPDATE 08/26/2016 ** An updated version of this recipe with baking tips and new photos has been posted to my new recipe blog Recipe Renaissance.
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour (organic, non-gmo recommended)
- 1 ¾ teaspoons sea salt or kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 1 ½ cups water
- In a large mixing bowl, use a whisk to stir together the flour, salt and yeast.
- Add the water and mix with a large spoon until a shaggy mixture forms.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 12 - 18 hours.
- When ready to bake, put a covered cast iron dutch oven in the oven and preheat to 450º F for 30 minutes. While the oven preheats, place the dough on a floured surface and shape it into a ball. Cover dough again with plastic wrap while the oven finishes preheating.
- Place the dough in the preheated dutch oven and cover. Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and let cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes before slicing with a bread knife.
Easy Rustic Homemade Bread Recipe Gallery
For more recipes, visit our new site Recipe Renaissance.